Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chicken Soup

I am a pretty healthy person.  I hardly ever get sick.  Once a year, maybe. I was pretty darn sick this weekend.  All I wanted was some Chicken Soup.  So I made some.  I have to admit that I am generally not very enthusiastic about cooking at home.  After all, I do it every day at work.  But this Monday I really needed good soup.

I went to the restaurant and got a locally raised guinea hen that I had roasted the day before.  I brought it home with some carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, fresh thyme and parsley, and already cooked egg noodles.  (Those noodles were a blessing.  One step to omit.)  I took the meat off the bone of the hen and put it aside.  I chopped the veggies along with some fresh garlic and put it aside.  I simmered the bones with some of the carrot, onion, celery, and thyme while I took my 7 year old, Duncan, to hockey practice.   

One hour later the stock was ready. When we got home from the rink the house was filled with aromas of hope for my cold.  I sauteed the veggies in my Le Creuset pot, putting a lid on for about ten minutes until they were soft.  I added the hen meat and fresh herbs. I then strained the stock into the pot. I let all of that simmer for about 15 minutes, added the noodles and tested for seasoning. 

I could hardly contain myself.  I was curious about my animalistic need for this soup.  My excitement was contaigous as evident by my husband and son's lurking around the kitchen. I poured three bowls.  I passed out spoons and napkins.  We savored, silent for several minutes.  (As I inhaled the soup, I thought to myself- Oh my, this is so good.  I hit the nail on the head.  I feel like a real mom.  Like my mom.)  Just then Duncan slurped loudly and turned his head to me and said, "Mom, this is as good as it gets."  I am feeling much better today. 

2 comments:

  1. Great story, hope you had some for the rest of the family

    ReplyDelete
  2. After enjoying a delicious turkey dinner made by Chef Amy herself, I was happy to find that there was still plenty of meat on the bones of that carcass, and so I decided to make - for the very first time - homemade turkey soup. Of course I used Amy's chicken soup recipe, as per the Chunker's "it doesn't get any better than this" comment. So off I went to collect the ingredients and get started. I simmered my "stock" for a little over two hours just to make sure it was super tasty (it was). I was wishing I had some idea as to how much of this and that (i.e., two sprigs of thyme or seven???...five carrots or three?). Well I just guessed, and it seemed okay. My mom was there thank goodness, and she was patient with all of my 'little' questions. When it was all said and done, I had about four gallons of soup! I put about a gallon aside and added the egg noodles (kept the rest noodleless so that when I take each tupperware out of the freezer I can add noodles then - or maybe rice or spinach or ravioli...the possibilities are endless, aren't they?). I brought the whole pot in to work (which happens to be The Wife) to share along with "family meal." It was gone in ten minutes. I guess I did okay. ~she beams with pride~ Thanks, sis!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your feedback and recipe requests!