Monday, March 22, 2010

It's Mudseason in VeeTee!

We have just come down from the best week of weather that we have seen since November. Temps in the 60's, lots of snow on the mountains, steam pouring from every sugar house, and now, tulip and hyacinth bulbs popping up. I even saw a bluebird this morning! What do Vermonters do when hit by the Spring bug (besides wash their cars every other day)? We all go directly outside. This Vermonter prefers her out of doors time on a deck at the base of Bromley Mountain with the music of the Grateful Dead vibrating through the head of her beer.

Music is an essential part of my spring. It brings me back to my roots. Each year, on the first gorgeous day of spring, I automatically feel like I am back in my senior year of high school. I open all of my car windows and drive fast. I play the music loudly. I giggle a lot. I deeply inhale the air every two minutes. Oh, the mud! The scent of the spring earth is powerful! The lyrics to this song that my son, Duncan, came home with from pre-school a few years ago might put my joy into perspective. It's still a house favorite.

Mud, mud, I love mud.
I'm absolutely, positively wild about mud.
I can't go around it, I have to go through it.
Mud, mud, glorious mud!

Now is the time when most of us start planning our gardens, contemplating how we are going to serve the Easter lamb, and consider changing our closets from winter to summer. I think about music. What shows can I see on this summer's tours? What festivals will I be able to sneak away for? Music is a huge part of what keeps me smiling every day. Mud season, albeit messy, is what reminds me that sunshine and daydreams are just a month and a half away!

2 comments:

  1. What? No recipe for mudpies? I figured out the commenting thing. Turns out there was a problem with my cookies. Go figure. Happy spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I've been driving my Jeep fast on dirt roads to get the appropriate Spring accessory...mud all over :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your feedback and recipe requests!